Salkantay trek It is an excellent alternate path to Machu Picchu for hiking enthusiasts. This road was chosen as one of the 25 best treks in the world. You will have incredible views of the landscapes of the Andes mountain range, snow-capped mountains, colorful lagoons, deep valleys formed by small rivers that are born from the glaciers of the snowy peaks.
The snowy peak of Salkantay has a height of 6271 meters.
- Type of trip: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture.
- Good for: Moderately, or better.
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Considerations: Check availability of the entrance to Machupicchu mountain and Huaynapicchu mountain.
- Starting altitude: 3200m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 4650m / 15,200ft.
- Walking distance – 72 km.
- Longest day – Day 2, approximately 22 km / 11 miles.
- Coldest night – Day 1 around 0º Celsius.
- Acclimatization is recommended.
Salkantay Trek + Machupicchu 5 Days / 4 Nights "Itinerary"
Day 1: Cusco / Mollepata / Soraypampa / Humantay Lake
(12 KM. 7.45 miles) – 5 hours
We start the day picking up from your hotel from 04.30 AM, then we will go on a tourist bus passing through the towns of Izcuchaca and Limatambo arriving at Mollepata (2900m.snm) where we will be at approximately 7:30 AM where we will have our first breakfast and we can leave our 07 kilos for our riders.
then we will take a transport that will take us to challacancha for 1 hour (3380m.snm), from that point our trek will begin in approximately 3 hours arriving at Soraypampa (3900m.snm) where we will be Arriving at 1.30 pm there we will have our first lunch and first camp after lunch we will go to the beautiful Humantay lagoon.
LAGUNA HUMANTAY: Ascent for 1; 30 minutes where we will arrive at the impressive Humantay lagoon (4220 masl) where we can appreciate the turquoise color of the lagoon and the snowy Apu Humantay and then starting to divest for 40 minutes to our Soraypampa camp for the hour of the Tea that is at approximately 6 pm and then we will have our delicious dinner prepared by our chef, finally we will pass to our tents or sleeping tents.
DIA 2: SORAYPAMPA –SALKANTAY- CHAULLAY
SORAYPAMPA-SALKANTAY-CHAULLAY (22 KM – 8 HOURS)
We wake up early, to taste a delicious breakfast, ready to walk through an extensive pampa called Salkantaypampa, here we are at 3 400m.snm, where we will cross the highest point that is the SALKANTAY pass at 4,600msnm, appreciating the Andes mountain range , where you can appreciate the APU SALKANTAY sacred mountain since Inca times, in addition to impressive avalanches that occur in the place.
after contemplating so much beauty we will descend through the mountain, to later taste a lunch, (we will choose the place according to the rhythm from our displacement), then we will continue until we reach chaullay instead of our dinner and camp, this is a tropical area, where we already have the presence of mosquitoes, as well as the biodiversity of flora and fauna of the area.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY - SAHUAYACO BEACH - SANTA TERESA
CHAULLAY –PLAYA (14 KM. 5 HOURS)
We will have our breakfast at 06.00 am, then we will walk through time 05 hours all through our jungle eyebrow with level ascents and descents, in this way we will appreciate coffee plantations, orchids, begoneas, bromeliads and many natural plants used for natural medicine , arriving at our Playa Sahuayaco lunch spot where we will have the “buffet” lunch and board a bus which is included from the lunch point to the camp (Playa – Santa Teresa). Arriving at our camp we will have the option to visit the thermal baths located in Cocalmayo (Santa Teresa) that are not included in our package and we return to our camp at 07.00 pm, for our tea and dinner.
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA / HYDROELECTRICA / AGUAS CALIENTES:
SANTA TERESA-HIDROELECTRICA-AGUAS CALIENTES (14 KM, 5 HOURS)
The sunrise will be within a tropical area full of history and nature there our breakfast awaits us ready to taste and then we will continue our journey towards hydroelectric where we have lunch in the restaurant after lunch we will continue our walk through the tropical zone towards the town of Hot waters and settle in the hostel and wait for dinner at 6.30 pm.
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES / MACHUPICCHU / CUSCO
We will wake up very early in the morning to have a visit to Machu Picchu, where we will have a guided tour of the citadel of Machu Picchu to visit temples, terraces, palaces and platforms, then you will have time to take pictures and explore on your own.
Then you will return to the town of Aguas Calientes to wait for your Expedition train.
Optional Reserve: Huaynapicchu and Machupicchu Mountains.
Optional visits in Machu Picchu:
Visit the mountain of Huayna Picchu, where only 400 people per day ascend and if you want to climb this mountain; You will have to pay an additional cost of $ 20.00 dollars (make the reservation at least 2 months before or one month in advance depending on the season).
Another mountain is that of Machu Picchu, whose cost is an additional $ 20.00. (book 2 weeks before).
If in case you have mountain MachuPicchu or HuaynaPicchu you would be entering the first schedule from 6AM – 8AM and second schedule from 9AM – 11AM
(Not included in the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain package)
- Pick up from the hotel.
- TOURIST TRANSPORT Cusco – Mollepata trip approximately 02h and 30 minutes.
- Transportation Mollepata – Challacancha, approximately 45 minutes trip.
- Transportation Sahuayaco Beach – Santa Teresa.
- TOURIST TRANSPORT Ollantaytambo station – Cusco (Plaza regocijo)
- Arriero (in charge of the mules).
- Mules only for camping and cooking equipment, 5kg passenger backpack per 3d.
- 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners.
- Camping equipment, tents, insulators, tables, chairs, etc.
- 01 hotel night in Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Professional tour guide bilingual english / spanish.
- Tourist train expedition back Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo.
- Bus Ollantaytambo – Cusco.
- Oxygen (Oxishot)
- First aid kit (Only generics, it is necessary for the passenger to have their personal pills)
- Communication radios.
Does not include:
- Lunch of the last day.
- Entrance to Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu Mountain 20 USD
- Service and extra expenses.
- Sleeping bag 15 USD
- Trekking poles 15 USD
- Air flights.
- Food except as mentioned.
- Sleeping bag.
- Hotel in Cusco.
- Bus up and down to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance to the Thermal Baths.
- Activities with the Canipo or Zip line.
What you should take for this trip:
- 21 liter backpack.
- Trekking boots must be waterproof (recommended).
- Warm clothes at night.
- Rain clothes.
- Cap or Hat
- Long pants, we do not recommend wearing jeans.
- Several poles
- Small towel
- Hot spring bathing suit in Aguas Calientes (not included in the price)
- Toilet paper, tissues.
- Hand sanitizers
- Insect repellent
- Plastic rain poncho.
- Medicine and / or personal items (liquid for contact lenses).
- Snacks: cookies, energy bars, chocolate, fruits, muesli, water, etc.
- Water bottle, you should drink a lot of water on the walk.
- Purifying tablets.
- Original passport (for the Control of entrance to Machu Picchu).
- Student card (ISIC -% Discount) if applicable.
- Have on hand checks and coins in small denominations dollars, euros or soles.
- Walking sticks
- Camera or camcorder.